Dohmen is a family of companies working together to create a more efficient, effective and easy to use health experience since 1858. Why? Because we have a problem to solve: Our nation spends double what other countries spend on healthcare, yet, we aren’t any healthier. So we are using our time, talent and generations of expertise to do something about it. We are at an exciting stage of growth, as we merge with 5 other companies to form a conglomerate that employs the same values. As a result, Dohmen is in need of a Paralegal to work under its General Counsel. The ideal candidate is someone who thrives in a lean, unstructured environment and gleefully seizes ambiguity and opportunity to drive meaningful results. At this new chapter in the company’s history, we think like a start-up – innovating new solutions for this ever-changing industry. Each company is unique, but united in our vision.
What does the job entail?
The Paralegal is an integral member of the Legal & Compliance Department who works with other members of the department to provide legal assistance to support the company’s needs. The Paralegal will be confident and proactive in his/her approach, have the ability to work collaboratively and also be capable of working autonomously, and be comfortable with, and skilled in, interacting with attorneys, senior management, and members of the Board of Directors. The responsibilities of the Paralegal include:
- Prepares, reviews and/or edits basic legal contracts and documents such as confidentiality agreements, initial and amended by-laws, articles of incorporation, charters, and other corporate documents.
- Monitor changes to government guidelines or regulations and submit reports on pertinent changes
- Prepares and administers (in connection with HR) compensation materials including stock options and performance share award agreements.
- Organize and maintain records for general corporate matters;
- Draft Board and compliance committee meeting minutes and coordinates, reviews and/or drafts meeting minutes, and local registration or compliance documents for global subsidiaries in coordination with corporate secretary, management companies or registered agents. Name change filings and registrations for both domestic and global subsidiaries including Director or officer changes.
- Review and coordinate inter-company loan agreements in coordination with treasury and finance.
- Supports Board and committee work and coordination of materials for the Board and committee books for quarterly and special meetings. Generates first drafts of agendas and maintains Board and Committee action calendars.
- Custodian of corporate legal documents.
- Responsible for internal Legal Department contract management and filing system to ensure proper indexing and filing of legal documents
- Assist with business license filings for US third party logistics and pharmacy facilities.
- Manages various Legal department vendors
What kind of person are we looking for?
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Relentlessly organized
- Passionate about the power of well-crafted processes
- Able to cut through noise and distill legal concepts into clear action items
- Impeccable written and oral communication skills
- Enjoys working autonomously and proactively on multiple projects
- Confidently reprioritizes based on evolving needs or in response to new information
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university with 5+ years in a corporate or major law firm setting OR a Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school
- Prior in-house experience preferred.
- Experience in the biotechnology, pharmaceutical, or life sciences industry preferred.
- Experience with IP search tools, databases, and docketing systems
- Industry recognized Paralegal Certification from organizations such as NALA or AACP preferred
- Consistently demonstrates honesty and integrity through personal example.
- Follows all policies and leads by example.
- Produces high quality work product with a focus on first time right.
- Complies with the Code of Conduct and Ethics Policy, and regulatory standards at all times.
- Strong understanding of legal issues and risks pertinent to contract drafting and administration.
- Strong understanding of contract and legal terminology.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office programs applicable to handling of corporate matters (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), as well as SharePoint, and CLM software
Core Leadership Competencies
- Thinks strategically. Quickly identifies and acts on opportunities. Considers the downstream impact. Seeks to understand the why. Focuses on work that matters.
- Develops organization and others. Takes ownership to develop self and others. Seeks out new opportunities and experiences for continuous learning.
- Acts decisively. Makes and acts on decisions quickly. Makes decisions with the customer and their patients in mind. Meets commitments with a sense of urgency. Seeks ways to be more efficient
- Drives performance. Holds self and others accountable. Delivers results first time right. Never settles for status quo. Willing to have tough conversations. Asks for feedback and takes action to improve.
- Passion for customers. Listens to understand. Asks the right questions. Gets to the heart of the matter and uses that insight to provide value.
- Works collaboratively. Seeks out the experience of others with the aim for better results. Open minded regardless where ideas originate. Flexible and easy to work with.
What can we offer?
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance
- Fitness benefits
- 401k retirement savings plan
- Paid parental leave
Dohmen is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. Dohmen policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, marital or veteran status, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member), sexual orientation, pregnancy, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. It also prohibits discrimination based on a perception that anyone has any of those characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics. All such discrimination is unlawful.